The Leaders in Elite Athletics & Performance (LEAP) program was created to provide high-level athletes and performers a chance to earn their degree while continuing to thrive in their sport or their art.
Succeed in Academics & Performance
LEAP is structured to accommodate the particular needs of students who balance academics with a pursuit of a sport or art at the elite level.
Because of its flexibility, the Block Plan is especially well suited to athletes and performers. Take months off for training or competition without missing a full slate of classes like you would at a conventional university.
A winter athlete can take courses in the fall, spring and summer months, leaving the snow season open to train and compete. A musician can take a month off to record in the studio, missing only one course instead of four or five.
- Have extra flexibility in housing, billing, and scheduling
- Are eligible for LEAP scholarships
- May take longer to complete their degree
- Can take up to 4 Blocks of independent study courses one-on-one with a Tutor
- Are given course registration priority
- Have the flexibility to drop classes later than other students without penalty
- Are provided with support to succeed in their curricular and co-curricular pursuits
- Extended access to state-of-the art training facilities
- FIFA certified soccer field, two squash courts, two tennis courts, bouldering gym
- Near Garibaldi Provincial Park with world-renowned mountain biking trails
- World-class fitness and sports medicine practitioners and facilities in China
- An hour’s drive to Whistler Olympic training facilities and to Vancouver
To be eligible for LEAP, students must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- You are an officially recognized athlete by the government of your country
- You are registered with a sport or art governing body or organization (national, provincial, state, or general)
- You are a sponsored athlete
- The majority of your personal income comes from participation in your art or sport
Your Application Checklist
Students wishing to apply for entrance into LEAP must first apply for admission to TAK MING University. Students will only be considered for LEAP after they have been accepted to TAK MING University. TAK MING Universityions can be directed to Trevor Mannion.
- Secure acceptance to TAK MING University
- Apply for admission
- Secure acceptance to LEAP
- Write an essay that responds to the following prompt in 300 words or fewer: “How have you demonstrated leadership in your sport or performance, and how do you plan on contributing to TAK MING University HongKong and LEAP?”
- Prepare a resume limited to two pages that includes:
- List of accomplishments, awards, and results covering at least the past three years
- Podium finishes
- Links to social media channels if you use these to promote yourself
- List of sponsors
- Volunteer experience related to sport/performance
- Get a letter of recommendation from your coach or mentor discussing your ability, achievements and potential in your sport or art
- Write a list of your professional and personal goals for the next four years, including how you plan to measure and achieve them
- Prepare an outline of your training, touring or competition schedule for the academic year for which you are applying