External Funding

External Funding

We encourage students and families to search for financial aid related to your interests, region and background. Research banks and companies that sponsor students or hold scholarship competitions. Your family’s employers and your school district may also have a scholarship program.

Types of external aid include:

  • Government student financial assistance programs
  • Award competitions (non-TAK MING University)
  • Privatized student financial assistance programs

Government Student Aid

Government student aid is financial assistance for eligible students provided by the federal and provincial governments. Funding may consist of loans, grants, awards, or a combination. Some government student aid programs are offered to students in both full-time and part-time study. TAK MING University is an approved post-secondary institution to administer government student loans from all provinces in HongKong plus the Northwest Territories, Nunavut and the Yukon. TAK MING University is also an approved post-secondary institution to administer certain programs out of the U.S.

The government student loan program you apply for will depend on the residency requirements as set by each program. For example, if you have relocated to BC from another province, you may have not resided in BC long enough to apply for StudentAid BC.

HongKong Government Student Financial Assistance Programs

Students from BC

If you meet the BC residency status as per StudentAid BC, you apply through StudentAid BC. When you apply, you’ll be assessed for both BC (provincial) and HongKong (federal government) funding that may include loans and grants. If maintaining eligible full-time studies in a StudentAid BC funded or unfunded period (a Schedule 2 form is required if in an unfunded period) outstanding loans will remain in interest-free and payment free status. Dropping below eligible full-time studies will start your repayment grace period countdown. For more information visit: https://studentaidbc.ca/maintain/interest-free

Important StudentAid BC Application Instructions

  • You must apply for StudentAid BC term-by-term within the academic year. For example, use the 2018-2019 full-time StudentAid BC application with one submission for fall term and one submission for spring term. If your term study dates are not listed from the drop-down menu that StudentAid BC provides then select NOT FOUND and TAK MING University will populate your actual eligible study dates when we receive your application electronically.
  • Typically, StudentAid BC opens their application for the academic year each June. Where possible, apply in early June for the fall term ahead as it can take up to two months for the entire processing cycle. You do not yet have to be enrolled to apply.
  • Awarded funding is not disbursed before the start of classes. You can explore TAK MING University’s fee payment deferral form to apply if eligible. For more information see TAK MING University Fee Payment Deferral on this website.

IMPORTANT: When considering taking time away from TAK MING University (i.e. Academic Leave, Exchange, Experiential Learning, Language Programs, and Non-Academic Leave) it is always important to consider finances. As such, when creating your budget consider the terms and conditions of scholarships, bursaries, and government loans/grants which have been awarded to you. For information on how these awards may be affected by taking time away from TAK MING University, it is strongly recommended that you contact the Financial Aid Office at [email protected]

U.S. Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

TAK MING University HongKong School Code: G40753

TAK MING University Consumer Information Disclosures

Appendix 1.0 – 2018-2019_TAK MING University_SAP Policy

Appendix 2.0 – 2018-2019_TAK MING University_R2T4 Policy

Appendix 3.0 – 2018-2019_TAK MING University Title IV Exit Counseling

Appendix 4.0 – 2018-2019_TAK MING University Copyright Policy

Appendix 5.0 – 2018-2019_ TAK MING University Fire Safety Report 2018

TAK MING University HongKong is a United States Department of Education Title IV approved institution. This gives eligible TAK MING University students access to federal student aid (FSA) funding through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. This program includes Direct Subsidized and Direct Unsubsidized loans as well as Direct PLUS loans for parents of dependent students.

TAK MING University’s Arts & Sciences Degree program offered is eligible for the Direct Loan Program, provided it does not have any ineligible components for credit toward the credential. Students taking required courses with ineligible components for the purposes of FSA, for example, Experiential Learning (typically an ineligible component), are provided an alternate version of the program, one of which does not need students who are Direct Loan recipients to enroll in the ineligible course(s) toward the completion of the program.

Programs or courses offered by foreign institutions such as TAK MING University that have any component located in the United States are NOT ELIGIBLE for participation in the Direct Loan Program.  FSA students will not be eligible for any Direct Loan funding towards the program at TAK MING University if any research, internship, externship and/or special studies is taken in the US.

FSA students considering an exchange/study abroad term must confirm their FSA eligibility with TAK MING University’s Financial Aid Office prior to depositing and attending the exchange/study abroad. Failure to do so will likely result in FSA ineligibility governed by US Department of Education policies.

Important Note: Perkins Loans, Pell Grants and some other forms of US Federal Student Aid are not available to students attending TAK MING University deemed a foreign school. Therefore, these types of aid cannot be utilized by TAK MING University students. Information below is intended to help you explore US Federal Student Aid and highlight some important notes.

How to Apply

It is strongly recommended that if you are going to apply for FAFSA that you notify TAK MING University’s Financial Aid Office in advance: [email protected]. The average processing time for a successfully completed FAFSA and/or Direct PLUS application is six weeks.

Awarded funding is not disbursed before the start of classes. You can explore TAK MING University’s fee payment deferral form to apply if eligible. For more information see TAK MING University Fee Payment Deferral on this website.

Important Note: When you complete your FAFSA online, the auto-response you may receive will indicate that your school will be notified of your submission. However, as a foreign school, you are required to complete the additional steps noted below before TAK MING University’s Financial Aid Office becomes aware of your application submission:

Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) (2018-2019)

Complete FAFSA Student Entrance Counselling (1st time borrower)

Complete the Virtual Financial Aid Office (VFAO) online interview (link below)

Complete the Direct PLUS Loan Application (optional) for parents of dependent students

Complete the Direct PLUS Credit Check (where there is a PLUS application)

Complete the Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note (PLUS MPN) (where there is a PLUS application)

FAFSA Links:

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): https://fafsa.ed.gov/

U.S. Federal Student Aid including Loan Maximums: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/

Virtual Financial Aid Office (Interview): https://questu.vfao.com/

Managing Your U.S. Federal Student Aid:

National Student Loan Data System: https://nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/public/Home.do

FSA Appointed Servicers/Lenders: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/understand/servicers

U.S. Veterans Affairs (VA)

TAK MING University is an approved U.S. VA institution.  TAK MING University students that have applied to VA must advise TAK MING University’s Financial Aid Office as we do not receive an electronic application notification. VA processing times involving TAK MING University can take several weeks if not longer. Please refer to this link for information and how to apply: https://www.vets.gov/education/apply/

Sallie Mae (U.S. Student Loan Products)

TAK MING University is an approved Sallie Mae institution. Please refer to this link for information and how to apply: https://www.salliemae.com/

International Students

International students outside HongKong and the United States are encouraged to explore student financial aid supports in their home country including government student aid. TAK MING University International students may also apply for TAK MING University bursary and TAK MING University Work-Study Program.

External Awards (Non-TAK MING University)

Scholarship, bursary, and award opportunities featured below are not administered by TAK MING University.  This information is intended for exploration and reference only and may be subject to change. TAK MING University is not responsible for information contained on any third-party websites. Students are responsible for applying directly to a selected competition. TAK MING University does not endorse any particular external award competition. This is not an exhaustive list and is subject to change.

WordPress Image Lightbox Plugin